Friday, July 20, 2018

El Peor... y El Mejor

EN ESPAÑOL ABAJO.

[In this series of blog entries, I am writing about my experiences in a Spanish Immersion program in Costa Rica. I write first in Spanish, and then I translate it as faithfully as possible into English. This way, we can see my progress. You may notice that I am now using past tense. I must confess that the Spanish portion alone took me about five hours to write.  This is great practice for me. I can write much better than I can speak. In conversation, I typically move back and forth between present and past tense, and my speech is painfully slow. I am having the time of my life! I have three more stories to tell you so far.]

ENGLISH TRANSLATION FOLLOWS

En mi segundo día en Costa Rica me llevanté muy temprano porque la luz comienza que brillar antes las cinco. Antes desayuno,  me senté en el porche y leí mi nueva Biblia bilingüe. Fue mi primera vez que leer la Biblia en español, y ahora yo me di cuenta como glorioso es que escuchar la voz de Dios en otra idioma. Esto versículo tocó mi corazón:

Te alabaré, oh Jehová, entre los pueblos; a ti cantaré salmos entre las naciones.

"¡Es cierto!" yo pensé. " Hoy, voy a cantar con mis hermanos Ticos."

Corrí a Macha y la mostré el versículo. Ella me abrazó.

A las 9:30, fuimos para autobús a la iglesia.  Debemos caminar en una colina y en una calle con muchas rocas. Con la humedad, me sentí muy caliente.

En la iglesia, me tomé mi segundo taza de café y me comí unos postres. ¡Que rico!

Mientras nosotros cantamos, comprendí casi todo porque hay palabras en una pantalla. La primera canción tiene una oración sobre la gente cantando ante las naciones.

Toque hombro de macha y señale a la pantalla. Pienso que ella tenía lágrimas en sus ojos, como yo. ¡Dios estaba hablando conmigo!

A mí me parací que Dios eligió todas las canciones para mí. Una tenió frases de mi favorito capítulo: Salma 139. El mensaje era que Dios me conoce mejor que cualquier otro, y Él está conmigo en cada lugar. No estaba sola aquí, donde la idioma es diferente. Yo estaba tan feliz. !Que bueno, esto día!

Cuánto el sermon comienzó, no comprendí nada. Hay no palabras que leer. El pastor decía muchas cosas, y después unos pocos minutos no traté de comprender. Sólo pensé sobre necesitando agua. Me sentí caliente y fría, y también más y más mareada.

Fui al baño y oré, "Por favor, no me permite que vomitar. Aquí no, en esta iglesia desconocida."

Me senté en el piso por un tiempo muy largo, hasta Macha vino a la puerta con su hija Vicky.

Ella dijo "¿Sarah, está enferma? Abre la puerta, por favor."

¡Ay! No quierí ver nadie, solo quizás mi mamá. ¡Que malo, esto día!

Fuí en mis rodillas al puerto. Macha me da manzanilla, un té por ayudar de digestión.

"¿Me causar vomito?" yo pregunté.

"Quizás," ella contestó.

"Necesito vomitar, pero no puedo."

Tomé un poquito. Entonces dije, "¡Go!" (No podía recordar cómo hablar español en ese momento.) Moví mi mano hacia la puerta.

Ellos cerraron la puerta.

Mi cuerpo tratío y tratío de vomitar, pero nada. Gemí, y agua llenó mis ojos. "Esto día no puede ser peor," yo pensé.

Por supuesto, podria ser peor.

¡El pastor, Hector, entró el baño! Con papel de baño, suavemente limpió el maquillaje aldredor mis ojos - cómo la máscara de un mapache. Habló conmigo en inglés.

"Voy a manajarla a la casa. Su va a ser más cómoda allí.

Hector en la iglesia (y escuela)
"No puedo ir," contesté en español. "Estoy muy inferma."

Él continuó hablar en inglés. "Voy a darla algo que se sienta mejor."

"Necesito una bolsa porque quizás vomito en su carro."

Él me dio una bolsa de plástico.  Me senté en una silla.

Él puso unos aceites esenciales en mis manos. "Huela profundamente."

Inhalé unas veces. Después cerca 30 segundos, corrí al baño. Vomité y vomité hasta no quedó nada.

Después unos minutos, salimos. La calle fue tan áspero, pero no vomité más.

Muchas vezes durante la tarde, dormí y entonces me desperté. Me llevanté unas veces, pero me sentí náuseas de nuevo.

A las siete, tuve hambre pero tuve miedo que comer. Quieré galletas de soda, pero no sabía cómo describirlos.

¡En la cocina, Macha me ofreció galletas de soda! También me da agua de gelatina. Cuando era una niña, mi mamá me da estos dos cosas por enfermedad.



Dios es muy bueno. Él me dio otra madre cuando más la necesitaba.

Sí, era un buen día.

Yo y Mateo, nieto de Macha.
Su fiesta fue en misma noche
On my second day in Costa Rica I got up very early because the light starts to shine before 5. Before breakfast I sat on the porch and read my new bilingual Bible. It was my first time to read the Bible in Spanish, and now I realized how glorious it is to hear the voice of God in another language.

This verse touched my heart:
I will praise you, oh Jehovah, among the peoples;  I will sing praises to you among the nations.

"It is true," I thought. Today I'm going to sing with my Tico brothers and sisters. [Costa Ricans are called Ticos and Ticas.]

I ran to Macha and showed her the verse. She hugged me.

At 9:30 we went by bus to church. We had to walk on a hill and on a road with many rocks. With the humidity, I felt very hot.

At the church I drank my second cup of coffee and ate some pastries. How wonderful!

While we sang, I could understand almost everything because there were words on a screen. The first song had a sentence about the people singing among the Nations.

I touched Macha's shoulder and pointed at the screen. I think she had tears in her eyes, like me.

It seemed to me that God chose all of the songs for me. One had phrases from my favorite chapter: Psalm 139. The message was that God knows me better than anyone else, and he is with me in every place. I was not here alone, where the language is different. I was so happy. How good, this day!

When the sermon began, I comprehended nothing.  There were no words to read. The Pastor said many things, and after a few minutes I did not try to understand. I only thought about needing water. I felt hot and cold, and also more and more dizzy. I went to the bathroom and prayed, "Please, don't let me vomit. Not here in this unfamiliar church."

I sat on the floor for a long time, until Macha came to the door with her daughter Vicky.

She said, "Sarah are you sick? Open the door, please."

Aiyee!  I didn't want to see anyone, except maybe my mama. How bad, this day!

I went to the door on my knees. Macha gives me manzanilla, a tea that helps digestion.

"To cause me vomit?" I asked [in broken Spanish.]

"Maybe," she answered.

"I need to vomit, but I can't."

I drank a little. And then I said, "Go!" ( I could not remember how to speak Spanish in that moment.)  I moved my hand toward the door.

They closed the door.

My body tried and tried to vomit, but nothing. I moaned, and water filled my eyes.

"This day cannot be worse," I thought.

Of course, it could be worse.

The pastor, Hector, entered the bathroom! He knelt beside me. With toilet paper, he gently washed the makeup from around my eyes--like a racoon's mask.

He talked with me in English. "I will drive you home. You will be more comfortable there."

"I cannot go," I answered in Spanish. "I am very sick."

He continued to talk in English. "I will give you something to make you feel better."

"I need a bag because maybe I vomit in your car."

He gave me a plastic bag. I sat in a chair. He put some essential oils in my hands. "Breathe deeply," he said.

I inhaled a few times. After about 30 seconds, I ran to the bathroom. I vomited and vomited, until nothing remained.

After a few minutes, we left. The road was very rough, but I did not vomit more.

Many times during the afternoon, I slept and then I woke up. I got up a few times, but I felt nauseated again.

At seven, I was hungry, but I had fear to eat.  I wanted soda crackers, but I did not know how to describe them.

In the kitchen, Macha offered me soda crackers! Also gelatin water. When I was a girl, my Mama gave me these two things for sickness.

God is very good. He gave me another Mother when I needed her most.

Yes, it was a good day.









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails