Friday, February 4, 2022

Mi casa tica / My Costa Rican House

EN ESPAÑOL ABAJO

In November, I visited Costa Rica for the third time. I had planned to share many stories, but time got away from me. Here are a couple of stories that I've been working on here and there for weeks, and I hope to find time for more soon. As usual, I will write my stories in Spanish and then translate them to English so you can see my progress. Note that all grammar errors in the dialogue are mine. If you speak Spanish, you may also notice that I use the informal verb forms when I talk with Zeidy even though I call her usted (the formal word for you). This is the custom in Costa Rica. Everyone there is usted, even spouses, babies, and dogs. This is seen as a sign of respect. Yet most people use the verb forms and pronouns for in conversation, probably for clarity because the subjects of sentences are almost always omitted. This mixing of usted and used to drive me crazy and keep me confused, but I've learned to just go with it. (Honestly, I make so many other errors that this doesn't matter anyway.)

ENGLISH TRANSLATION AT BOTTOM

En noviembre visité Costa Rica por tercera vez. Tenía planeado compartir muchas historias, pero el tiempo se me escapó. Aquí hay unas historias en las que he estado trabajando durante unas pocas semanas, y espero encontrar tiempo para más pronto. Como de costumbre, voy a escribir mis historias en español y luego las traducir al inglés para que las personas que no hablan español puedan ver mi progreso. Si hablas español, probablemente puedes notar que uso las formas verbales informales cuando hablo con Zeidy aunque la llamo usted. Esta es la costumbre en Costa Rica. Todos allí son ustedes, incluso esposos, bebés y perros. Esto se ve como una señal de respeto. Sin embargo, la mayoría de la gente usa las formas verbales y los pronombres para en una conversación, probablemente para mayor claridad porque casi siempre se omiten los sujetos de las oraciones. En el pasado, esta mezcla de y usted me volvía loca y me confundía, pero he aprendido a dejar de seguir las reglas gramaticales. (En verdad, cometo tantos otros errores que esto no importa.)

[Todos errores gramatical en el diágolo son mios.]

Durante este viaje, no asistí la escuela de español, pero ciertamente aprendía a través de la inmersión.  Me quedé por dos semanas con mi amiga Zeidy, la hija de Doña Macha, con quien me había quedado durante mis otros viajes. Aunque dos años habían pasado, inmediatamente este lugar me sentí como mi hogar. Que extraño, porque toda allá es tan diferente, un mundo separado. 

Doña Macha, yo, Zeidy

La casa de Zeidy está un poco grande en comparación con otras, con tres habitaciones, una grande sala, una cocina pequeña y dos baños.  Cada cuarto tiene ventanas con pequeños rectángulos de vidrio que giran en bisagras como una persiana veneciana, y estas ventanas están siempre abiertas, aún cuando hay lluvia.  


No hay mosquiteros, y los bichos y las iguanas entran libremente. A veces, también entran los gatos pequeños como esta dulce gatita que se llama Cat (el apodo para Katerina). 


Casi todas las noches, Cat salió a través de la ventana de Zeidy y entró a través de mi ventana.  Se sentó en mi pecho o envolvió alrededor de mi cuello y durmió conmigo hasta la mañana.  Aunque usualmente prefiero no dormir con mascotas, me sentí tan cómoda con ella. Me recordé de mis gatas Arwen y CiCi, y me hizo que sentir como en casa.  En verdad, Cat era casi tan traviesa que CiCi: a ella le gusta que comer las flores artificiales y que cavar en el suelo de las muchas plantas verdes alrededor de la casa.

El modo de cocinar allá es muy diferente. Zeidy no tiene máquinas para cocinar como yo. Solo tiene una estufa de gas y una olla eléctrica para cocinar arroz.  En este espacio tan pequeño, ella hace comidas muy deliciosas.  Aún el café se hace sin una máquina, así: 


Zeidy hierve el agua y lo pone a través de esta bolsita dos o tres veces. El sabor es maravilloso con un poquitito de azúcar y leche, y también algo extra: las hormigas pequeñas que siempre comen el azúcar.  Aunque la caja tiene una tapa apretada, el hijo de Zeidy a veces se olvida que cerrarla. “Josué”, dice Zeidy, “no queremos proteína con nuestro café.” 

Pero, no importa. Es fácil que sacarlas con una cuchara. He notado que estas hormigas viven en todas de las cocinas allá, y no molesta a los nativos.  Yo también he aprendido que vivir con ellas, en el mismo modo que debo que empujar mis gatas fuera de la mesa todos los días en mi casa. 

Una noche después de la cena, quedó unas orejas, mi postre favorito.  ¿Le pregunté a Zeidy, “Como podemos evitar que las hormigas las coman?” Ella señaló a una canasta que colgaba del techo.


“¡Qué sabia!”  exclamé.  De nuevo, estaba fascinada con el ingenio de la gente allá.  Por ejemplo, cuando me recogió, Zeidy ha envuelto mi cena con algo grande y verde que protegió la comida del agua. A mi pareció posible que usar esta maravillosa cosa otra vez; ¡que bueno para conservar el planeta! 

“¿Podría comprar estos?” le pregunté. “Quiero usarlos en mi casa. No me gustan las bolsas plásticas.” 

Se rió. “No, Sarita.  No puedes comprarla.  Es una hoja de banano. Tengo estas atrás de mi casa. ”

Mi almuerzo para el aeropuerto

Limpiando la casa

Otra cosa muy interesante es los métodos que Zeidy usa para limpiar la casa. Porque ella no me permite que hacer alguno trabajo, tuve abundante tiempo que mirar a ella trabajando. “No te preocupes”, me dijo. “Es tus vacaciones.”   

Por supuesto, no tiene lavaplatos. Siempre lava los platos rápidamente con una esponja y jabón solido en un tazón y los pone en la parte del fregadero diseñado para secarlos. Allá los fregaderos tienen este diseño porque casi nadie tiene lavaplatos. Zeidy dice que usan demasiada electricidad, y la electricidad es caro. (En realidad, le convencí de que permitirme que lavar los platos. Simplemente le dije la verdad: siempre he sido mi sueño que lavar los platos con una vista de las montañas.)

No pude ayudarla con la ropa porque no entendí la lavadora. Tiene dos partes, una para lavar y una para quitar el jabón y sacar la mayoría del agua. Debes girar varios interruptores en los momentos correctos para poner agua en la parte que tiene la ropa. 

Cuando la lavadora acaba, Zeidy trae la ropa a una línea atrás de la casa, y todo esperan que no llueva. Si llueve, cualquier persona que está en casa corre afuera para sacar la ropa de la línea. Algunos días, es necesario que poner la ropa afuera dos o tres veces, y algunos días, permanece mojada hasta el próximo día. Sin embargo, Zeidy opina que tener una secadora es un desperdicio de la electricidad. 


Me sentí una poca defensiva durante esta discusión. Le expliqué, “En mi ciudad, el aire no es tan limpio como acá. Si secamos la ropa afuera, huele a tierra.”

Todos los pisos en la casa de Zeidy, y en todas las casas que he visto allá, son de baldosas. Con las ventanas siempre abiertas, muchísimo polvo entra la casa. Por eso, Zeidy barre casi todos los días. 

Las paredes del baño son de baldosas también. Cuando Zeidy limpia, lava la ducha, el piso, el inodoro, las paredes y el lavamanos con un cepillo grande que tiene un mango largo. Usa mucho jabón, y entonces usa el grifo de la ducha para rociar agua sobre cada superficie.

La primera vez que vi el lago en el piso, le pregunté, “¿Cómo vas a sacarlo?”    

Se rió. “Así.” Empujó el agua por la puerta hacia el pasillo donde yo estaba. Salté hacia atrás. Miré con curiosidad mientras ella empujaba el agua por la cocina y al porche, y luego al césped. 

¡Que sabia! En un solo paso, ella había limpiado el baño y fregado el piso.

“Pienso que usted disfruta que limpiar, como su mamá”, le dije. 

“Sí, mucho.” Ella sonrió. 

“Cuando tengo bastante tiempo, a mi me gusta limpiar también.” Pero casi nunca tengo tiempo, pensé. 

Las noches 

Fue difícil dormir por causa de muchas razones. La más importante fue mi miedo de los bichos y otros criaturas afuera de la ventana abierta. Una noche, la cerré para protegerme, pero pronto la humedad fue insoportable. Incluso con la ventana abierta, me sentí pegajoso—por la primera mitad de la noche. En las primeras horas de la mañana, sentí mucho frío.

La segunda razón fue la variedad de los sonidos. Muchos perros ladraban durante la primera parte de la noche, y por fines de semanas, podía escuchar música ruidosa del otro lado de la carretera. No me molestaba la música, per me hizo que querer escuchar y no dormir. 

En las últimas horas de la oscuridad, los gallos comenzaron a cantar, y grandes camiones pasaban por la carretera. 

La vista de la carretera del porche

Sin embargo, siempre me sentí descansada. Quizás era el aire fresco, o la vista bonita, o la risa de dos amigas. En cualquier caso, no quería regresar a mi ciudad. 

Tengo muchas más cosas que decirte sobre mi viaje, pero mi mente está cansada. Escribir en mi propio idioma requiere mucho esfuerzo, pero escribir en español es mucho más difícil.  Espero que estas historias te muestren un pedacito del hermoso mundo de Costa Rica.  

=======================================

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

During this trip, I did not attend Spanish school, but I certainly learned through immersion. I stayed for two weeks with my friend Zeidy, the daughter of Doña Macha, with whom I had stayed during my other trips. Even though two years had passed, this place immediately felt like home. How strange, because everything there is so different, a separate world.

Doña Macha, Me, Zeidy

Zeidy's house is a bit big compared to others, with three bedrooms, a large living room, a small kitchen, and two bathrooms. Each room has windows with small rectangles of glass that rotate on hinges like a Venetian blind, and these windows are always open, even when it rains. 


There are no screens, and bugs and iguanas enter freely. Sometimes small cats also come in, like this sweet kitty named Cat (the nickname for Katerina).

Almost every night, Cat came out through Zeidy's window and came in through my window. She sat on my chest or wrapped around my neck and slept with me until morning. Although I usually prefer not to sleep with pets, I felt so comfortable with her. It reminded me of my cats Arwen and CiCi, and made me feel right at home. In truth, Cat was almost as mischievous as CiCi: she likes to eat the artificial flowers and dig in the soil of the many green plants around the house.

The way of cooking there is very different. Zeidy doesn't have cooking machines like me. She only has a gas stove and an electric pot to cook rice. In this small space, she makes very delicious meals. Even coffee is made without a machine, like this:

Zeidy boils the water and puts it through this bag two or three times. The taste is wonderful with a little bit of sugar and milk, and also something extra: the little ants that always eat the sugar. Although the box has a tight lid, Zeidy’s son sometimes forgets to close it. “Josué,” says Zeidy, “we don't want protein with our coffee.”

But it does not matter. It's easy to scoop them out with a spoon. I have noticed that these ants live in all the kitchens there, and they don’t bother the natives. I too have learned to live with them, in the same way that I have to push my cats off the table every day at home.

One night after dinner, there were some ears left, my favorite dessert [a giant, crispy pastry shaped like an elephant's ear]. I asked Zeidy, "How can we stop the ants from eating them?" She pointed to a basket hanging from the ceiling.

“How wise!” I exclaimed. Again, I was fascinated by the ingenuity of the people there. For example, when she picked me up, Zeidy wrapped my dinner in something big and green that protected the food from the water. It seemed possible to me to use this wonderful thing again; How good to conserve the planet!

“Could I buy these?” asked. “I want to use them in my house. I don't like plastic bags."

She laughed. "No, Sarah. You can't buy it. It's a banana leaf. I have these behind my house. ”

Mi almuerzo para el aeropuerto

Cleaning The House

Another very interesting thing is the methods that Zeidy uses to clean the house. Because she doesn’t allow me to do any work, I had plenty of time to watch her work. “Don't worry,” she told me. “It’s your vacation.”

Of course, she doesn’t have a dishwasher. She always washes dishes quickly with a sponge and solid soap in a bowl and puts them in the part of the sink designed to dry them [an integrated stainless steel draining board]. There, sinks have this design because hardly anyone has a dishwasher. Zeidy says they use too much electricity, and electricity is expensive. (Actually, I convinced her to let me do the dishes. I just told her the truth: it’s always been my dream to do the dishes with a view of the mountains.)

I couldn’t help her with the laundry because I didn’t understand the washing machine. It has two parts, one for washing and one for removing soap and getting most of the water out. You have to turn various switches at the right times to put water in the part with the clothes in it.

When the washing is done, Zeidy brings the clothes to a line behind the house, and everyone hopes it doesn’t rain. If it rains, whoever is home runs outside to get the clothes off the line. Some days, you need to put your clothes out two or three times, and some days, they stay wet until the next day. However, Zeidy believes that having a dryer is a waste of electricity.

I felt a bit defensive during this discussion. I explained, “In my city, the air is not as clean as it is here. If we dry our clothes outside, they smell like dirt.”

All the floors in Zeidy’s house, and in all the houses I’ve seen there, are tiled. With the windows always open, a lot of dust enters the house. That’s why Zeidy sweeps almost every day.

The bathroom walls are tiled as well. When Zeidy cleans, she washes the shower, the floor, the toilet, the walls, and the sink with a large brush that has a long handle [a push broom]. She uses lots of soap, and then she uses the shower faucet to spray water on every surface.

The first time I saw the lake on the floor, I asked, “How are you going to get it out?”

She laughed. “Like this.” She pushed the water out the door and into the hallway where I was. I jumped back. I watched curiously as she pushed the water through the kitchen and onto the porch, then onto the lawn.

How wise! In one step, she had cleaned the bathroom and scrubbed the floor.

“I think you enjoy cleaning, like your mom,” I told her.

“Yes, a lot.” She smiled.

“When I have enough time, I like to clean too.” But I hardly ever have time, I thought.

The Nights

It was difficult to sleep for many reasons. The most important was my fear of bugs and other creatures outside the open window. One night, I closed it to protect myself, but soon the humidity became unbearable. Even with the window open, I felt sticky—for the first half of the night. In the early hours of the morning, I felt very cold.

The second reason was the variety of sounds. Lots of dogs barked during the early part of the night, and on weekends, I could hear loud music from the bar across the two-lane highway. The music didn't bother me, but it made me want to listen and not sleep.

In the last hours of darkness, the roosters began to crow, and large trucks passed by on the highway.

The View of the Highway from the Porch

However, I always felt rested. Perhaps it was the fresh air, or the beautiful view, or the laughter of two friends. In any case, I did not want to return to my city.

I have many more things to tell you about my trip, but my mind is tired. Writing in my own language requires much effort, but writing in Spanish is much more difficult. I hope that these stories show you a little piece of the beautiful world of Costa Rica.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails