Friday, December 24, 2010

Your Dreams Come True

For the week leading up to Allyson's Christmas dance recital, we made her practice every evening to a video I had made at one of her class sessions. The tap routine, Let it Snow, was the hardest. After watching her struggle with the choreography, I decided to study the steps and tutor her at home. How hard could it be?

On our first evening rehearsal, I found out it's a lot harder than it looks. "Front-front, side-side, back-back, STOMP!" I hollered, but our feet weren't listening, and we kept stumbling over each other. Ethan rewound the video for us over and over, and gave us pointers as to what we were doing wrong. "Hey, it's a lot harder than it looks," I whined. "Why don't you try it?"

"Nah," he said.

"Mama, how can you help me if I'm better than you?" Allyson asked.

"That's a good question, baby. Just keep practicing."

She moaned and griped, and did very little actual practicing, but when the day of the recital arrived, some sort of Christmas miracle occurred. Maybe it was the glittery tutu or the feather boa. Anyway, Allyson became a ballerina. You could see it in her eyes; she believed.


She Flourished That Boa Around the House for Days

Her first dance was When You Wish Upon a Star, which couldn't have been more appropriate. Right there before our eyes, Allyson's Dreams Came True. My eyes filled with tears as I saw her sheer joy, but then I laughed when I saw her little "Hi, Mom!" wave. (Or maybe she was waving at Grandma, who happens to be her biggest fan.)

Later in the show came the dreaded tap number, and of course it all came out just fine. She wasn't perfect, but she had fun, even with the brush step--remember how she asked Jesus to help her with that one? And she NAILED the tough part that Ethan had helped us with. I was bursting with pride, and so was he when he watched the video a few days later.

Here are a couple of excerpts from the video Bill made. I tried to cut some of the ballet song, but I just couldn't; it was all too precious. See for yourself....




Did you see how perfect her third position was at the end of the first song? (Or maybe it was second position. Or maybe fourth. Anyway, wasn't she graceful?)

When the recital was over, she changed back into the regular Allyson:


Yep, that's our little ballerina.

Merry Christmas to you, and may all your dreams come true.

Note: If you are reading via Facebook or email, you'll need to visit the blog site to watch the video. Just click the link to the original post at the bottom of the message.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I could've sworn I had already commented on this post! Hmm.

Anyways, that's so cute that they're such big cheerleaders for one another. Do you think Allyson will stick with dancing? You should gently force her to ;-) I was in Jazz, Ballet, Tap and Gymnastics all at the same time around her age and one day just quit it all. I always wished my mom would've made me stick with at least one of them, but I'm sure if she did then I would've ended up hating it, who knows lol.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the advice, Mindy. I think Allyson would love to keep dancing, but we had been leaning toward just soccer so she would be a little less busy. But I think we'll keep her in until she stops enjoying herself. She's such a bull in a china shop that she definitely needs the graceful, feminine influence.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails