Sunday, October 4, 2015

Finding Rachel

Every now and then, somebody asks me about my novel. Did I ever finish it? Am I going to look for a publisher? That always gives me a sinking feeling.

I did finish the first draft about four years ago and started on the hard work of revision. Soon after, I went through a divorce, and publishing my novel wasn't even on my priority list.

It's been nearly three years since Bill and I separated, and I've started thinking about my neglected manuscript again. Thinking is all I have time to do about it; I never knew it was possible to be this busy.

During a recent Bible study on the life of King David (Chasing After the Heart of God), I was inspired to pray about how God wants me to be courageous, to step out of my comfort zone. My novel immediately came to my mind and heart, and I knew it was time to share this story that God gave me.

I still don't have time or energy to revise the manuscript for publication, but I believe I can manage publishing a chapter a week online.

This is an act of courage for me for two reasons:

  1. I'm afraid it's not good enough. That's why I'm going to publish it anyway and let you decide. This is a good step toward letting go of my perfectionism. 
  2. I'm afraid to commit to a chapter a week. I know I won't be able to resist the urge to do at least some minor editing, and that will take time. I fear publishing the first few chapters and then leaving you all hanging. 

I explained all this to God, but He told me not to let fear stop me from using the gifts he gave me. I can't argue with that!

I've set up a separate blog, Finding Rachel. I will post a chapter there each week, probably on Sundays. I plan to publish links to the first few chapters on this blog, but if you want to be notified each time I post another chapter, please visit the other site and enter your email address in the "Subscribe" section.

Also, if you enjoy the story, please share it with others via social media. My prayer is that someone will be touched by this story of redemption and healing.

So here's the first chapter:

Chapter 1

2 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Hello Sarah,

What a wonderful surprise to see you visiting my Blog today. Thank you. I hope you and yours are doing well; Praise God.

It's great to see that you are setting out on publishing your book. Well done. Publishing a chapter at a time seems a good idea. You know you can also, when ready, self-publish, don't you? You don't need to find a publisher. AMAZON and CreateSpace will publish for you for FREE. Your book will be on ALL Amazon sites worldwide - usually within 48 hours or so.

God bless.

Sarah said...

Thank you, Victor. I saw your post title in my Blogger Dashboard and it caught my eye. Really made me think!

I do plan to self publish the whole book after I've posted all the chapters. I needed the pressure of a weekly deadline to help me stop procrastinating and do the work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails