Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Un Tipo Diferente de Aventura / A Different Kind of Adventure

EN ESPAÑOL ABAJO...

[This is not your typical travelogue, but an important part of my story in Costa Rica. For this bilingual series, I compose the story in Spanish and then translate into English so that we can see my progress in learning the language. (By the way, I'm back home now. It was a difficult adjustment.) Disclaimer: All grammar errors in the dialogue are my responsibility.]

ENGLISH TRANSLATION FOLLOWS.

[Todos errores gramatical en el diágolo son mios.]

¿Se preguntaba sobre que pasó con Walter? Me preguntaba tambien; pensaba sobre esto mucho. 

El domingo siguiente mi tour de su campo, Zeidy y yo debíamos tener una cita en su casa. Recordé el consejo de mi amiga Kim el día antes mi viaje: “Pinta sus uñas. Quizás tú vas a conocer al amor de su vida.”

“No tengo tiempo,” he contestado. 

“Si conoces a un hombre guapo, vas a desear que había pintado sus uñas.”

Decidí que corro el riesgo.

Mientras yo esperaba que Walter me recogiera, pensaba  en las palabras de Kim. (Por supuesto, sabía que no podía tener un relación con él, pero todavía quería uñas bonitas.) Por eso, yo dije “sí” cuando Macha me preguntó, “¿Quiere pintar sus uñas?”

Como casi nunca me pinto las uñas, ellas no eran perfectas, pero yo pensé que eran bastante lindas.  Envié esta foto a Kim: 



Esparaba y esparaba, pero no recibía noticias de Walter. Me sentía decepcionada y un poco irritado. Finalmente, Zeidy vino y me explicó porque Walter no podía salir de su casa esa tarde. Ella tomó mi brazo y me llevó a mi cuarto, donde nos sentamos en mi cama.

Ella dije, “Walter quería verle hoy, pero no era posible. Ahora, él quiere una cita con usted.” 

“¿Conmigo?”

Ella asintió con la cabeza.

“¿Sola?”

Ella sonreío. “Sí.” 

Mi pulso se aceleró. “¡Oh!”

“No en su casa. En otro lugar.”

“¿Cuándo?”

“No sé. Probablemente en el fin de semana.” 

“Umm… OK.”

Los días siguientes, tenía mucho tiempo para pensar. Mi primera reacción era miedo. Aunque Macha me había decido que Walter no era “peligroso,” todavía tenía miedo de tener una cita con alguien. Más que cinco años habían pasado hace mi divorcio, y yo nunca había tenido una cita. Creía que esta cita era un buena oportunidad que practicar hablando con un hombre, y quizás que disfrutar un buena comida. 

Tenía un mezcla de emociones. Me sentía linda y interesante y joven, pero tambien vulnerable y muy nerviosa.

Después de algunas oraciones, tenía paz. Quería disfrutar esta experiencia y tener confianza que los planes de Dios son buenos.

Macha y yo nos divertíamos con esta situación. Hablábamos y reíamos mucho. Yo le perdí que coser un vestido para mi cita.

“¡Ja ja! Un vestido feo,” ella contestó. 

Entonces, ella le llamó a Walter “Abraham” (de la Biblia) y dijo que yo era su Sara. Esta conversación duró por mucho tiempo porque ella tuvo que pantomima las acciones de la historia en Genesis antes de que yo pude entender el contexto. ¡Que divertido… para nosotros dos!

Durante los días siguientes, nunca recibía más información, y iniciaba que pensar que Walter había cambiado sus pensamientos. Me sentía estúpida para estar tan entusiasmada. Sabía que la cita no era tan importante, y por eso, estaba enojada conmigo mismo. ¿Por qué, después de tantos años de estar cerca de Jesús, todavía tenía estas inseguridades?

Me sentaba en el banco en frente de la casa y escuché los canciones de los pájaros. Las flores y las mariposas brillaban a través de mis lágrimas.

“¿Por qué estoy así?” le pregunté a Dios. “¿Por qué tengo emociones tan fuertes? Quiero estar tranquila. Necesito paz.” 

Entonces, recordé el mensaje del domingo pasado. El pastor, Daniel, había hablado sobre el amor. Pude comprenderlo porque él nos mostró una presentación con sus puntos principales. Estas ideas me hablaron:
  • Debemos saber quienes somos para saber qué merecemos.
  • No pretenda ser quien no eres.
  • No intente cambiar a nadie.
  • El amor es responsabilidad. [Todavía estoy pensando en esto. No sé exactamente qué lo significa, pero la frase me recuerda a esta entrada de blog: Hablemos de Amor.] 

Daniel con el café que la misión procesa y vende

Daniel nos aconsejó aceptarnos a nosotros mismos; no debemos tratar de cambiar a nosotros mismos. En cambio, debemos permitir que Dios haga el trabajo porque sólo Él sabe qué necesitamos.

Después su mensaje, oró por los corazones que se habían roto. El dolor inesperado de cinco años pasados me trajo lágrimas a los ojos, y estaba agradecida por las manos que sostenían las mías. Él oró que estas personas pudieron saber más profundamente el amor de Jesús, y que no se sintieran solos. Allí, en un mundo diferente, yo tenía un sentido de pertenencia.

Ahora, en el banco en el porche, oraba, “Gracias por amarme exactamente como yo soy, como no otra persona puede. Gracias por darme pasión en toda mi vida. Por favor, ayúdame a amarme como soy. Quiero tener confianza en sus planes para mí. No quiero perderme ninguna experiencia que tengas para mí hoy, o cualquier día.”

Por unos minutos, miraba la belleza de la vista y me permitaba a mi Padre a calmarme. Entonces, disfrutaba un día precioso.

Esa noche, fui con Macha y Zeidy a un bar de karaoke. Ellas cantaron en español, y yo canté en inglés. Mi canción, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun (las chicas sólo quieren divertirse),” por Cyndi Lauper, era demasiado alta para mí, pero toda la gente aplaudió y animó. ¡Que divertido!
¡Chicas divirtiéndose!


Como había sospechado, mi cita nunca sucedió. Zeidy me dijo que Walter quería verme, pero tuvo que trabajar todo el fin de semana.  Me sentí un poco decepcionada. No supe que algo mejor me estaba esperando. Sin embargo, esa es otra historia.

=============================

Were you wondering what happened with Walter? I was wondering, too; I thought about this a lot. 
The Sunday following my tour of his farm, Zeidy and I were supposed to have a date at his house. I remembered the advice of my friend Kim the day before my trip: “Paint your nails. Maybe you will meet the love of your life.”

“I don’t have time,” I had replied.

“If you meet a handsome man, you’re going to wish you had painted your nails.”

I decided to run the risk.

While I waited for Walter to pick me up, I remembered Kim’s words. (Of course, I knew that I could not have a relationship with Walter, but I still wanted to have pretty nails.) Therefore, I said “yes” when Macha asked me, “Do you want to paint your nails?”

As I almost never paint my nails, they were not perfect, but I thought they were pretty enough. I sent this photo to Kim:


I waited and waited, but I received no word from Walter. I felt disappointed and a little irritated. Finally, Zeidy came and explained to me why Walter could not leave his house that afternoon. She took my arm and led me to my room, where we sat on my bed.

She said, “Walter wanted to see you today, but it was not possible. Now, he wants a date with you.” 

“With me?”

She nodded.

“By myself?”

She smiled. “Yes.”

My pulse quickened. “Oh!”

“Not at his house. In another place.”

“When?”

“I don’t know. Probably on the weekend.”

“Umm… okay.”

The following days, I had a lot of time to think. My first reaction was fear. Although Macha had told me that Walter was “not dangerous,” I was afraid to have a date with anyone. More than five years had passed since my divorce, and I had never had a date. I believed that this was a good opportunity to practice talking with a man, and maybe to enjoy a good meal. 

My emotions were mixed. I felt pretty and interesting and young, but also vulnerable and very nervous. 

After a few prayers, I had peace. I wanted to enjoy this experience and have confidence that God’s plans are always good. 

Macha and I entertained ourselves with this situation. We talked and laughed a lot. I asked her to sew a dress for my date.

“Ha ha! An ugly dress!” she replied. 

Later, she called Walter "Abraham" (from the Bible) and said that I was his Sarah. This conversation lasted a long time because she had to pantomime the actions from the story in Genesis before I could understand the context. What fun… for both of us!

During the days that followed, I never received more information, and I was beginning to think that Walter had changed his mind. I felt stupid for being so excited. I knew that the date was not that important, and therefore, I was angry with myself. Why, after all of these years being close to Jesus, did I still have these insecurities? 

I sat on the bench in front of the house and listened to the songs of the birds. The flowers and butterflies shimmered through my tears. 

“Why am I like this?” I asked God. “Why do I have such strong emotions? I want to be calm. I need peace.”

Then, I remembered the message from the past Sunday. The pastor, Daniel, had talked about love. I could understand because he showed us a presentation with his main points. These ideas spoke to me: 
  • We must know ourselves before we can know what we deserve.
  • Don’t try to be someone you’re not. 
  • Don’t try to change anyone. 
  • Love is responsibility. [I’m still thinking about this. I don’t know exactly what it means, but the sentence reminds me of this blog entry: Let’s Talk About Love.]

Daniel with the coffee that the mission processes and sells
Daniel advised us to accept ourselves; we must not try to change ourselves. Instead, we must allow God to do the work because only He knows what we really need. 

After his message, he prayed for hearts that had been broken. Unexpected pain from five years ago brought tears to my eyes, and I was grateful for the hands that held mine. He prayed that these people could know more deeply the love of Jesus, and that they would not feel alone. There, in a different world, I had a sense of belonging. 

Now, on the porch bench, I prayed, “Thank you for loving me exactly as I am, like no other person can. Thank you for giving me passion for all of my life. Please, help me love myself as I am. I want to have confidence in your plans for me. I don’t want to miss any experience that you have for me today, or any day.”

For a few minutes, I looked at the beauty of the view and allowed my Father to calm me. Then, I enjoyed a beautiful day.

That night, I went with Macha and Zeidy to a karaoke bar. They sang in Spanish, and I sang in English. My song, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper, was too high for me, but everyone clapped and cheered. How fun!
Girls having fun!


As I had suspected, my date never happened. Zeidy told me that Walter wanted to see me, but he had to work the entire weekend. I felt a little disappointed.  I didn’t know that something better was waiting for me. However, that’s another story.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You can't leave us hanging! On the edge of my seat...."A story for another time". The time has come. And I am waiting :)

Sarah said...

Ha! You make writing more fun, Phyllis! I am working on the next story now, but it usually takes about three days for the bilingual ones.

Unknown said...

I know want to know how this ends!

Sarah said...

I'm working on it. :)

Unknown said...

Not another cliff hanger,

Sarah said...

Ha! No, Aunt Sue. The next part of this one is already written. It's about the trip up the mountain.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails