Monday, June 24, 2019

Un Lugar de Sanación / A Healing Place

EN ESPAÑOL ABAJO

[Here is another bilingual travelogue entry, chronicling both my travel experiences and my progress with Spanish in a Costa Rican language immersion program. Note that all grammar errors in the dialogue are mine.]

ENGLISH TRANSLATION FOLLOWS.

[Todos errores gramatical en el diágolo son mios.]


Después de una cena deliciosa en la casa de Macha, y una larga ducha caliente en la casa de mis nuevos amigos, me acosté en mi habitación tranquila a las 8:30.

Un poco calor quedó del día, y debí que dormir con las ventanas abiertas. (En la casa de Macha, puedo dormir con las ventanas cerrados porque el aire tiene de menos calor.) Aquí no hay ventanas de tela metálicas para protegerse contra bichos, pájaros, y geckos.

En este cuarto, solo las cortinas me separan de las criaturas afueras.¡Esperé que se queden afuera! Me descansé  en la cama y escuché a los insectos, un concierto familiar y también inusual, porque vivo en la ciudad normalmente.

En mis pensamientos, Dios habló. “¿Nina de mis ojos, do you hear me singing over you (me oyes cantar sobre ti)?”

Contesté en inglés, “¡Sí, Papá! Oigo. ¡O, gracias! Gracias por tu amor. Te amo, Amado.”



Reposaba y respiraba profundamente, pensando en este versículo: “Jehová está en medio de ti, poderoso, él salvará; se gozará sobre ti con alegría, callará de amor, se regocijará sobre ti con cánticos.” (Sofonías 3:17)

“Que hermosa, tu cancion,” susurré.

Me relajaba y disfrutaba la paz de la sinfonía de Dios. Estuve despierta por mucho tiempo, pero estuve feliz. Después de tal vez una hora, mis piernas y brazos comenzaron que contraerse. Sonreí y floté en el olvido.

Unos momentos o minutos después, mi cuerpo se sacudió violentamente. ¡Un bicho gigante zumbaba y revoloteaba contra la cortina justo encima de mi cabeza! Mi paz cambió al terror.

“¡Por favor, Dios! No dejes que entre. Dile que se vaya.”

El insecto siguió volando contra la cortina por unos minutos mientras yo escuché y temblé. Finalmente, se fue, pero ahora estaba despierta. Me pregunté qué hora era.  ¿Diez? ¿Once? “Qué va a pasar si no puedo dormir por una segunda noche?” piense.

Inmediatamente, palpitó mi corazón rápidamente, y me sentí que respirando era difícil. Me senté en la cama y masajeé mi esternón. Usualmente, esta acción me calma, pero ahora sentí la prominencia de mis huesos y tuve miedo. “¿Por qué he perdido tantas libras? Estoy enferma?” me pregunté.

Llamé a mi Padre en inglés. “Padre, tengo miedo. Y mi corazón me duele.”

Comencé a sollozar. Lágrimas calientes rodaron por mis mejillas.

“Me duele. Me duele. Papá, por favor abrazarme.”

Me abracé mis hombros. Llore y llore. Entonces, dije las palabras que fluyeron de mi corazón.

“Estás siempre conmigo. Nunca me dejas. Nunca estoy sola…. Yo soy la nina de tus ojos…. Yo soy de mi Amado, y mi Amado es mío.”

Mis lágrimas continuaron, pero tuve un sonrisa. “Me amas tanto que enviaste Mike y Valerie… antes de que te pidiera ayuda. Sabías que estaría despierta toda la noche. Sabías que necesitaría compasión y oración y sabios consejos. !Gracias, mi Amado! Estás fiel, siempre.”

Entonces permití que mis pensamientos volvieran a la agonía de mi divorcio siete años atrás.

“¿Amado, recuerdas el primer tiempo cuando perdí sueño por toda la noche? Mi corazón estaba aplastado, pero tú estabas conmigo. En esa noche, me mostraste tanta ternura.

“Descansaba en la cama y escuchaba la lluvia contra la ventana. Yo dije, ‘Llévame al lado de las aguas quietas.’ En el mismo tiempo, tú despertaste mi amiga y ella también oyó la lluvia. Ella oró, ‘Padre, lleva Sarah al lado de las aguas quietas.’

“Gracias por tu misericordia, Papá,” oré. “O, te amo. Te amo, mi Amado.”

Después unos minutos de llorando y alabando, me descansé de nuevo y escuché a la música de los bichos.

No me sentí ansiosa, pero mis pensamientos no descansarían. Pensé en decisiones importantes sobre mi futuro. Sabía que no necesité tomar ninguna decisión en ese momento, pero no podía dejar de pensar.

En mi mente, una voz clara y distinta habló: “No planes, sólo confía.”

Reconocí esta misma mensaje de ocho años atrás, cuando estaba tratando de salvar mi matrimonio.

“Sí, Dios. Yo sé que tienes el control. Mi vida es en tus manos. Mis hijos son en tus manos. Mis relaciones son en tus manos. Mi carrera es en tus manos. Y mis deseos, mis sueños, mis temores.”

No planes, sólo confia.

“Sí, Papá. Pongo toda mi vida en sus manos. Pertenezco a ti. Todo lo que tengo, todo lo que soy es tuyo.”

Me sentí una paz profunda, pero todavía mis pensamientos se negaron a estar quietos. Una y otra vez, repetí, “No planes, sólo confía… No planes… No planes… Sólo confía… Confía… Confía… No planes, sólo confía.”

Finalmente, mi mente se rindió. Y luego, en un minuto, los gallos cantaban y la luz brillaba por la ventana.

Sabía que sería un hermoso dia.

=====================

After a delicious dinner at Macha's house and a long, hot shower at the house of my new friends, I retired to my room at 8:30.

A little heat remained from the day, and I had to sleep with the windows open. (At Macha’s house I can sleep with the windows closed because the air has less heat.) Here there aren't screens on the windows to protect against bugs, birds, and geckos.

In this room, only the curtains separated me from the creatures outside. I hoped that they would remain outside! I lay down on the bed and listened to the insects, a concert both familiar and unusual because I live in the city normally.

In my thoughts, God spoke. "Niña de mis ojos (little daughter of my eyes), do you hear me singing over you?

I answered in English. “Yes, Papá. I hear. Oh, thank you. Thank you for your love. I love you, Beloved.”

I rested and breathed deeply, thinking about this verse: “The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17)

“How beautiful, your song,” I whispered.

I relaxed and enjoyed the peace of God’s symphony. I was awake for a long time, but I was happy. After maybe an hour, my arms and legs started to twitch. I smiled and floated into oblivion.

A few moments or minutes later, my body jerked violently. A giant bug was buzzing and fluttering against the curtain just above my head! My peace changed to terror.

“Please God! Don't let it come inside. Tell it to leave.”

The insect continued flying against the curtain for a few minutes while I listened and trembled. Finally it left, but now I was awake. I wondered what time it was. Ten? Eleven? “What's going to happen if I can't sleep for a second night?” I thought.

Immediately, my heart was beating rapidly, and I felt that it was difficult to breathe. I sat up in the bed and massaged my sternum. Usually this action calms me, but now I felt the prominence of my bones and was afraid. “Why have I lost so many pounds? Am I sick?” I wondered.

I called out to my Father in English. “Father, I’m afraid. And my heart hurts.”

I started to sob. Hot tears rolled down my cheeks.

“I hurt. I hurt. Papá, please hold me.”

I hugged my shoulders. I cried and cried. Then, I spoke the words that flowed from my heart.

“You are always with me. You never leave me. I am never alone…. I am la niña de tus ojos. I am my Beloved’s, and my Beloved is mine.”

My tears continued, but I had a smile. “You love me so much that you sent Mike and Valerie… before I asked you for help. You knew that I would be awake all night. You knew that I would need compassion and prayer and wise counsel. Thank you, my Beloved! You are faithful, always.”

And then I allowed my thoughts to return to the agony of my divorce seven years ago.

“Beloved, remember the first time when I Iost sleep for a whole night? My heart was crushed, but you were with me. In that night, you showed me such tenderness.

“I was lying in the bed and listening to the rain against the window. I said, ‘Lead me beside the still waters.’ At the same time, you woke up my friend, and she also heard the rain. She prayed, ‘Lead Sarah beside the still waters.’

“Thank you for your mercy, Papá,” I prayed. “Oh, I love you. I love you, my Beloved.”

After a few minutes of crying and praising, I lay down again and listened to the music of the bugs.

I did not feel anxious, but my thoughts would not rest. I thought about important decisions for my future. I knew that I didn’t need to make any decision in that moment, but I could not stop thinking.

In my mind, a voice clear and distinct spoke: “No plans, only trust.”

I recognized this same message from eight years ago, when I was trying to save my marriage.

“Yes, God. I know that you are in control. My life is in your hands. My children are in your hands. My relationships are in your hands. My career is in your hands. And my desires, my dreams, my fears.”

No plans, just trust.

“Yes, Papá. I am putting my whole life in your hands. I belong to you. All that I have, all that I am is yours.”

I felt a profound peace, but my thoughts still refused to be still. Again and again, I repeated, “No plans, just trust. No plans… no plans… just trust… trust… trust. No plans, just trust.”

Finally, my mind surrendered. And then, in a minute, the roosters were crowing and the light was shining through the window.

I knew that it would be a beautiful day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails