Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Muchos Niños Lloran / Many Children Cry

EN ESPAÑOL ABAJO...

[This is the third in a series of bilingual travelogue entries, a record of my progress in a Spanish Immersion program.]

ENGLISH TRANSLATION FOLLOWS...

En mi tercero día en Costa Rica, escuela comienzó. Estaba nerviosa sobre el autobús, pero mi mamá Tica caminó conmigo y le dijo a el conductor donde yo necesité ir.

En el bus hubo tres profesoras de mi escuela, CISA. Caminamos en la misma vía del día pasado. El edifício sirve para escuela, misión, y iglesia.

Aquí encontré a 11 perros que viven con el director, Héctor. Ellos siempre entran a escondidas. ¡A veces trepan por las ventanas!



Inicié en una clase intermedia con cuatro otros estudiantes. Todas las instrucciónes estuvieron en español. Estuvo como el sermón de Hector en el día pasado. Las palabras fluyeron sobre mi cabeza pero no entraron mis pensamientos. Sin embargo, hoy debí concentrar. ¿ Cómo pude aprender si no entendí las instrucciones?

Quise llorar, pero no. Sólo me senté en la silla y sonreí.

Después almuerzo, asistí un clase intensiva. Nosotros practicamos verbos reflexivos.

Después mi clase, yo fui a la parada con una profesora, Malli. Llegabamos diez minutos después el bus salió. El proximo bus fue a llegar en cincuenta minutos, y yo debí esperar sola.

Pregunté a Malli, "¿Cómo le digo el conductor donde necesito ir?"

Malli me explicó, pero no comprendé porque estuve inquieta. Ella repetía sus instrucciones, pero yo todavía no entendí. Ella escribía en mi cuaderno:

Yo dije, "¿Debo...?" Me levante el brazo y bajé un cable imaginario.

"Sí," ella contestó.

"¿Cómo sé cuando necesito...? Todavía no sabía el verbo.

"Después del puenta."

"¿El puente? ¿Dónde?"

Inicié llorar. "Disculpe," dije, y cubrí mis ojos. "Tengo miedo."

"Es normal," ella me dijo. "Quizás puede llamar un taxi."

"Pero no sé cómo que decir dónde la casa esta. Quizás camino. Pienso que puedo encontrar la casa si camino."

"Pero esta lejos, y esta lloviendo."

"¿Llovi... la lluvia?"

"Sí."

A mí me parecía que la carretera fue peligrosa. Fue estrecha y los carros manejaron rápidamente. Normalmente, disfruto caminar, per no quise mormirme en este día.

"OK. Por favor, me ayuda que llamar un taxi."

Malli  llamó a Ariel, el nieto de Macha, y él llamó un taxi.

"Sólo diga, 'La casa de Doña Macha, por favor,' " Malli me dijo.

No necesité decir algo porque el conductor llegó en cinco minutos. Malli le dio las instrucciónes.

Después tres minutos, estuve en mi casa.

En la cocina, dije a Macha, "A mí me hace falta mi autobús." Estuve orgullosa para usando un estructura de mi clase intensiva. Ahora, sé la correcta oración: "Perdí mi autobús."

"No sé cómo que decir dónde..." Lloré de nuevo. "Disculpe."

"No llore," Macha dijo. "Es normal. Es su primer día." Ella me abrazó.

Ahora yo reí, tan duro que casi no puedo hablar.  "Sí, muchos niños lloran en su primer día en escuela."

Soy normal.
=========================

On my third day in Costa Rica, school started. I was nervous about the bus, but my Tica Mama walked with me, and she told the bus driver where I needed to go.

On the bus were three teachers from my school, CISA. We walked the same route from the day before. The building serves as school, mission, and church.

Here I encountered 11 dogs that live with the director, Hector. They always sneak in. Sometimes they climb through the windows!

I started an intermediate class with four other students. All of the instruction was in Spanish. It was like Hector's sermon on the past day. The words flowed over my head but did not enter my thoughts. However, today I must concentrate. How could I learn if I could not understand the instruction?

I wanted to cry, but no. Instead, I sat in my chair and smiled.

After lunch, I attended an intensive class. We practiced reflexive verbs.

After my class, I went to the bus stop with a teacher, Malli. We arrived 10 minutes after the bus left. The next bus was going to arrive in 50 minutes, and I must wait alone.

I asked Malli, "How do I tell the driver where I need to go?"

She explained it to me, but I did not understand because I was very anxious. She repeated her instructions but I still did not understand. She wrote in my notebook:

To La Selva (The Jungle), please. You can stop where Aldemar or after the La Selva bridge." [I still don't quite understand the instructions.]

"Must I...?" I raised my arm and pulled an imaginary cable.

"Yes," she answered.

"How do I know when I need to...?"  I still didn't know the verb.

"After the bridge."

"The bridge? Where?"

I started to cry. "I'm sorry,"  I said, and covered my eyes. "I have fear."

"It's normal," she said. "Maybe you can call a taxi."

"But I don't  know how to say where my house is. Maybe I walk. I think I can find the house if I walk."

"No, it's far. And it's raining."

It appeared to me that the road was dangerous. It was narrow, and the cars drove rapidly. Normally, I enjoy walking, but I did not want to die on this day.

"Okay, please help me call a taxi."

Malli called Ariel, Macha's grandson, and he called a taxi.

"Just say, 'Doña Macha's house, please,' " Malli told me.

I didn't need to say anything, because the driver arrived in five minutes. Malli gave him the instructions.

I dried my eyes and hugged Malli.

After three minutes, I was in my house. In the kitchen, I said to Macha, "To me it happened that my bus was missing."  I was proud for using a structure from my intensive class. Now I know the correct sentence: "I lost my bus." [It is an idiom that we don't use in English.]

"I don't know how to say where..." I cried again. "I'm sorry"

"Don't cry," Macha said. "It's normal. It is your first day."

Now I laughed, so hard that I almost couldn't talk. "Yes, many children cry on their first day of school."

I am normal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are very brave!! Wow, by yourself and not speaking the language!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails