Saturday, July 28, 2018

Un Día Sin Lágrimas / A Day Without Tears

EN ESPAÑOL ABAJO 

[Here is my fourth bilingual travelogue entry about my experiences in a Spanish immersion program in Costa Rica. If you can read Spanish, please note that all grammar errors in the dialogue belong to me.]

ENGLISH TRANSLATION FOLLOWS.

[Todos de errores gramaticales en el diálogo son mios.]

En mi sexto día en Costa Rica conocí a unos amigos nuevos. Estaba hablando con Zeidy, la hija de Macha, y ella me invitó que acompañarla. No supe dónde, pero estaba feliz de ver cosas nueva.

"Vamos a ir a un lugar muy bonito," ella dijo.

Manajamos arriba una carretera estrecha con muchas curvas y rocas. Traté de concentrar en nuestra conversación y no me preocupé por mi seguridad.


Cuando llegamos a un campo, nos sentamos en su carro y hablamos. Ella me dijo, "Quise hablar contigo porque pienso que nuestras vidas son similares."

Es cierto. Tenemos la misma edad, y estamos madres divorciadas.

Aunque yo hablé muy lentamente, con muchas pauses, Zeidy me entendío. Yo pude compartir mi corazón en español por la primera vez. Hablamos sobre nuestros matrimonios y divorcios.

Yo le dije que aprendí de mis luchas. "Ahora yo sé que Dios es suficiente para mí. No necesito otra persona que ser feliz."

"Sí, Dios es suficiente," ella dijo. Ella tomó una selfie conmigo. Me dijo, "Pienso que somos amigas ahora."


Entonces, ella me presentó a su amigo Walter, el dueño del campo. Zeidy le pedío que me da un tour de la propriedad, pero yo no entendí.

Walter nos dio algunas zapatos. Zeidy recibío Crocs morados, y yo recibí sandalias cafés. Los zapatos parecieron casi nuevos, pero no  fueron nuevos. Miré a los con confusión. ¡Que extraño, este regalo! Pensé, "Quizás es un costumbre Tico."

Yo creo que Walter y Zeidy entendieron mis pensamientos porque ellos rieron mucho.

Zeidy se puso su Crocs, y entonces yo me puse mis sandalias. Llevé mis zapatos en un mano y inicié seguirlos. Sin embargo, miré los zapatos de Zeidy en el piso, y dejé mis zapatos tambien.

Ellos esperaron con paciencia mientras yo medité sobre todos. Cuando Walter señar el barro, finalmente entendí.

El campo fue tan bonito, con vistas de la montaña en cada lado. Miré a los árboles y flores y puse mi mano sobre mi corazón.


Mientras Walter me mostró sus tomates, chiles, café, y muchas otras cultivos, hablamos en español y en inglés. Walter vivío en New Jersey por unos años y habla algo de inglés.

Él me dijo que trabajó en administración para un banco, y tambien trabajó en España y en los Estados Unidos. Después eso tiempo, se regresó al campo familiar, donde se nació.

"¿Es su sueño?" yo pregunté.

Él pensó por un momento. "Sí."

Vi un arbusto lleno de saltamontes gigantes, y tomaron fotos.


La mamá de Walter, quien vive con él, es muy amable. No entendí su nombre en eso tiempo, pero más tarde aprendí que se llama Amable.

Yo le pregunté, "¿Cuántos hijos tiene?"

Ella levantó diez dedos. "Diez hijos."

"¿Diez?" yo repetí.

Ella rió. "Sí."

Miré con fascinación mientras Zeidy hizo tortillas. Mientras ella trabajó, conocí otro amigo nuevo.





Un Chihuaha pequeño se paró de dos pies y me pedío.  Quiso sentarse en mi regazo. Normalmente, no soy una persona que quiere perros. Sin embargo, no pude resistar sus ojos tristes.


Todos hablamos y comimos tortillas. ¡Qué rica!

Después Walter salió la cocina, yo dije, "Walter es muy guapo."

Zeidy me dijo, "Quizás usted necesita un novio Tico."

"No," contesté, y supe que mi cara estuvo roja.

"Sólo por dos semanas," ella dijo. Nosotras reímos.

La mamá de Walter me miró atentamente. Yo concentré en acariciando al perro.

Entonces, Walter se regresó, y yo inicié una conversación sobre inmigración en nuestros países.

Mientras caminamos al carro, yo le dije a Zeidy, "Hoy es un día sin llorar." (Más temprano, hablamos sobre mis lágrimas en los días pasados.)

"Sí," ella contestó. "No llorando."

En verdad, yo tuve pocas lágrimas felices en eso momento.

Walter y yo intercambiamos abrazos y besos. Me gusta este saludo acostumbro, pero siempre me siento nerviosa, especialmente con hombres.

Walter me dijo en inglés, "Espero que usted viene a mi casa de nuevo."

No pude pensar que decir en cualquier idioma.

"OK," yo dije, y reí a yo misma.

Sonreí durante toda la noche.

==========================

On my sixth day in Costa Rica I made some new friends. I was talking with Zeidy, the daughter of Macha, and she invited me to accompany her. I didn't know where, but I was happy to see new things.

"We are going to a very beautiful place," she said.

We drove up a narrow street with many curves and rocks. I tried to concentrate on our conversation and not worry about my safety.

When we arrived at a farm we sat in her car and talked. She said to me, "I wanted to talk with you because I think that our lives are similar."

It's true. We are the same age, and we are divorced mothers.

Although I spoke very slowly, with many pauses, she understood me. I could share my heart in Spanish for the first time. We talked about our marriages and divorces. I told her what I learned from my struggles.

"Now I know that God is enough for me. I don't need another person to be happy," I said.

"Yes, God is sufficient," she said.  She took a selfie with me. [See photo above.] She said, "I think we are friends now."

After that, she introduced me to her friend Walter, the owner of the farm. She asked him to give me a tour of the property, but I did not understand.

Walter gave us some shoes. Zeidy received purple Crocs, and I received brown sandals. The shoes appeared to be almost new, but they were not new.  I looked at them in confusion.  How strange, this gift! I thought, "Maybe it is a Tico (Costa Rican) custom."

I think that Walter and Zeidy understood my thoughts, because they laughed a lot.

Sadie put on her Crocs, and therefore I put on my sandals. I carried my shoes in one hand and started to follow them. However, I saw Zeidy's shoes on the floor and dropped my shoes too.

They waited patiently while I pondered everything. When Walter pointed out the mud, I finally understood.

The farm was so beautiful, with views of the mountain on every side. I looked at the trees and flowers and put my hand over my heart.

While Walter showed me his tomatoes, chiles, coffee, and many other crops, we talked in Spanish and English. Walter lived in New Jersey for a few years and speaks some English.

He told me that he worked in banking administration, and he worked in Spain and in the United States. After that time, he returned to the family farm, where he was born.

"It's your dream?" I asked.

 He thought for a moment. "Yes."

Walter's mother, who lives with him, was very friendly. I did not understand her name at that time, but later I learned that her name is Amable, which means friendly.

 I asked her, " How many children do you have?"

She held up ten fingers. "Ten children."

"Ten?" I repeated.

She laughed. "Yes."

I watched in fascination while Zeidy made tortillas. While she worked, I made a new friend.

A little Chihuahua stood on two legs and begged. He wanted to sit in my lap. Normally I am not a person who loves dogs, but I could not resist his sad eyes.

Everyone talked and ate tortillas. How wonderful!

After Walter left the kitchen, I said, "Walter is very handsome."

Zeidy said to me, "Maybe you need a Tico boyfriend."

"No," I answered, and I knew my face was red.

"Only for two weeks," Sadie said. We laughed.

Walter's mother watched me attentively.  I concentrated on petting the dog.

Then, Walter returned, and I started a conversation about immigration in our countries.

While we walked to the car, I said to Zeidy, "Today is a day without crying." (Earlier, we had talked about my tears in the past days.)

"Yes," she replied. "No crying."

In truth, I had a few happy tears in that moment.

Walter and I exchanged hugs and kisses. I like this customary greeting, but it always makes me feel nervous, especially with men.

Walter said to me in English, "I hope you come to my house again."

I did not know what to say in any language.

"Okay," I said, and laughed at myself.

I smiled all through the evening.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails